Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Politics, Tiaras, and Tim Tebow


I have never been one to get deep into politics. In fact, there are times when I don't even allow my toes to touch the water. (Please, no lectures on the importance of voting.) Nevertheless, there is one political subject I do dare to dive into from time to time...and it just so happens to have a little to do with Mr. Tim Tebow and tiaras.

I'm sure most of you caught the Superbowl commercial that showcased Tim Tebow's mother telling her story of how the doctors suggested she abort her baby due to negative risks and circumstances surrounding her pregnancy. She chose life and now that little baby is a good-looking, smart, nationally-recognized athlete, who does mission work in the Phillipines in his spare time. Pretty impressive...and a pretty clever way for Focus on the Family to slip a pro-life message into one of the most watched television events of the year. And while I am a fan of Tim Tebow and his obedience in representing God on such a large stage, I happen to be pro-life for other reasons...God? Absolutely. But furthermore...my sister, Abby.

Not much was recognized as out of the ordinary with Abby until she was about 3 years old. She has multiple diagnoses with mild mental retardation, mild OCD, and mild cerebral palsy all being within the mix. We have often wondered if Abby had been born in this decade if she would have been given a more accurate diagnosis. And there is also the question as to whether my parents would have been given the option to abort if anything odd had been detected on ultrasound or blood and fluid tests.
Even if they had, my parents would never have considered it, because I know that they believed with all their heart that God had given them this child for a reason...or as I like to believe...for multiple reasons.

I believe one of those multiple reasons Abby is here is to make people laugh. Abby calls my dad her "old man", my mom her "moo moo", Rachel is "Roach" and I am "Matika"...and I can bet you that atleast 10 others of you reading this have been nicknamed by her, as well. She has a few famous quotes floating around out there...one being from the night she was laying in a hospital bed. She had a nurse holding each of her arms out trying to get an IV started and she exclaimed, "Now I know what God felt like." And about the time the movie "Dead Man Walking" came out, our elderly dog was walking in circles and falling down stairs...every time we heard a boom you would probably hear Abby say, "Dead dog...dead dog walking."

In addition to Abby's humor, she also has a softer side. I remember taking her to see "Herbie Fully-loaded". There is a scene in the movie when Herbie is trapped in a monster truck rally show and they are all trying to run him over. Abby turned to me and on the verge of tears said, "I wanna go home." She cares a lot about other people and is always asking how you are doing...her facebook wall-post of the century goes a little something like, "Hi (insert your name here), hows your day?"(repeat :) ) She supports an orphan in the Dominican Republic through Compassion International, has donated her hair to Locks of Love more than once, and has aspirations of teaching inner-city kids in New York how to dance. (Warms your heart, doesn't it?)

In the last few years, Abby's development has sky-rocketed. God is the ultimate reason Abby is who she is today, but He has definitely used multiple vessels along the way to ensure her progress. First and foremost, my parents...God could not have picked a more compassionate and patient father or a more fun and disciplined mother to be her best friend. Secondly, I'd love to mention names of others of you that have been there and are still there, but I'm pretty sure this post would turn into one of those genealogy chapters in the Bible that most people skip over...there are just so many people, and you know who you are. Whether you gave her a hug in public and made her smile that bashful grin we all know and love, or dressed up with her on Halloween, took her to the movies, had a frozen frappe-whatever with her, baked cookies with her, or danced around in her room doing one of her crazy workout dances...know that my family is so thankful.

(I know this is the never-ending post, but please bear with me, i'm almost done...)

For years Abby sat back and watched as Rachel and I received awards and recognitions for different things...but one night last May, Abby got her shot to outshine us all. My family, aunts, uncles, and friends filled up a whole row at the Miss Ability Pageant 2009...a pageant put on for young people with disabilities that allows them to sing, dance, interview, wear frilly gowns...the whole bit. Now, maybe she wasn't up there saving children in the Phillipines, making the Dean's list at the University of Florida, or winning the Heisman trophy...but I will tell you that when they announced Abby as the winner and put that tiara on her head, there wasn't a dry eye in our entire row, and I'm betting you couldn't have shoved even one more ounce of pride in our hearts. It was truly one of the most amazing feelings I have ever felt in my entire life. Look at her poise...



I would not be who I am today without this girl in my life...and I know many people out there are in similar situations with children/siblings/friends, etc. and know exactly what I'm talking about.

Am I pro-life...you betcha...

**If anyone wants to, feel free to share a funny moment you've had with Abby, or something hilarious you've heard her say...Rachel and I have always said we were going to keep an Abby's Quote's Book, but we are quickly forgetting things...help us!! :)

6 comments:

  1. One of the earliest things that I remember about Abby's "way with words" occurred when she was still in high school, and at that time she was just beginning to try out new phrases. And she learned pretty quickly that she could turn a phrase. Always sitting quietly on a couch or chair, in the middle of a room, in the middle of a conversation, a voice from the couch or chair would say..."Oh, wake up and smell the coffee!"

    Pretty soon she was breathing life into old and tired phrases, one right after the other, and making them her own.

    Aunt Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when the "dead dog walking" was kept in a basket by the front door (so he didn't fall down the stairs) and Abby suggested he should be put to sleep. Dan said "Abby is that what you are going to do to me when I get old?" Abby responded "No Dad, I'll just keep you in a basket by the front door." Priceless.

    How about those nicknames that we have all now adopted and continue to use.....Aunt Lindina and Aunt Vondina, Connie Chung and Little Man.

    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were discussing some issue at home, and I said to Abby, "Abby, I think you are in denial." Her response was swift. She said, "Mom, you know I have never set foot in Egypt before."

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to share two stories with Abby. We had plans to go out to eat and then shopping. A disagreement between Abby and her mom led to the consequence that we could go eat, but no shopping. After we got in the car and started out, Abby asked how much money her mom had given me. I told her five dollars. She thought for less that a minute and proposed we go to my house and eat and take the five and go to KMart (I did not give in!). The second is in response to your musings, Leah, about the Miss Ability pageant. I flatter myself with the priveleged title of Abby's Stage Mom. We had a very busy and chaotic day; just like you see on TV. She had dance practice; she had to practice where to stand on stage; she had to practice her talent...very little down time. Abby started to feel the anxiety of the day and had a few tearful episodes. She pulled herself together and jumped right back in. Later in the afternoon, she reached her breaking point. She refused to do her interview; she was just on overload. I called Connie and told her Abby was in the bathroom sobbing and I wasn't able to help her. Connie wanted to know if she needed to come and get her, but we decided to give her a little more time. True to form, Abby came back to the dressing area to say she was ready for her interview. We went to the interview room and again she said she couldn't do it. God sent an angel in the form of Gale Truman who just happened to appear at the interview room door at the exact moment she was needed. She gave Abby such encouragement and off Abby went to the interview. I positioned myself so that I could see the interview from one of the glass panels in the door and the judges were smiling and listening attentively and I could tell they were enjoying Abby and she was enjoying them. The next hurdle was the talent competition. The contestant before Abby sang the same song Abby was going to sing. She just melted. Again I thought I had lost her. Then God again, never early but never late, put Monica Marietta, the director of Stepping Stones in Abby's path. She was trying to usher Abby on stage and Abby simply refused because her song had just been sung. Monica took her by the shoulders and looked her straight in the eyes. She told her she was not the same person who was just on stage and she was going to put a spin on the performance that would make it her own. As with Gale, it was just what Abby needed. She gave the performance of her life and had a ball doing it! One of my favorite things was being back stage with her and enjoying her successes after being on stage. Then it was time for the crowning. Abby was literally all in. We had a row of chairs that we all sat in waiting on our time on stage. I put my arm around Abby's shoulders, she laid her head on my shoulder and quietly sobbed. I have never felt such pain in my life, knowing how she was feeling. Then it was time for her to go on stage for the last time. She hesitated and I knew this was a make it or break it moment for her. She stood up, squared her shoulders and got in line to go on stage. I thought my heart would burst with pride. I kept listenng to the names of the girls getting crowned, not hearing Abby's name. I was standing at the edge of the curtain so I would be the first thing she saw when she left the stage. Then all of a sudden I realized that Abby's name was the only one not called; she had won the pageant!! The applause and shouts were incredible to hear from backstage. Then it was my turn to sit down in my chair and quietly sob. Abby did not just win the Miss Ability pageant; she IS Miss Ability.

    Kaye Baye

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW... This post is AMAZING... and the comments just add to it. Leah, God has used to you as an incredible advocate for the LIFE that this young lady and many others like her bring to those who are lucky enough to know them. I'm almost in tears, but i have to pull it together to teach my last class :)

    Abby and Leah= Thanks for teaching me so much !!!

    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete